08 Sep Vitamin C Smoothie Bowl
Serves Two people
Feeling run down and in need of a vitamin C top up? If so, this is your go to breakfast. Hemp seeds and Cacao nibs are a great source of zinc which compliment the vitamin C provided by the fruit to give your immune system a boost. If you don’t have cacao nibs or hemp seeds, nut butter also contains zinc and selenium which can help boost immunity.
- 1 banana – add some of the skin on for extra nutrients
- 2 tablespoons pineapple frozen
- 1 Kiwi fruit frozen
- Ginger 1 inch cube
- Handful of broccoli chopped (Can use spinach if prefer)
- Juice of one lemon
- Handful of crushed ice
- Water – quantity depends on desired consistency so add water gradually.
- Yoghurt – As plant based eaters, we use a soya or almond milk yogurt but any yoghurt will work.
- 1 tablespoon nut or seed butter
- Toppings – granola, cacao nips, seeds, nut or seed butter.
- In order to get smoothie bowl consistency you want to add more ice than water, otherwise the smoothie bowl will be less frozen ad more runny.
- In leaving the skin on the banana, chop the ends off the skin. Adding the skin tends to work better on riper bananas.
- For a thicker consistency, and even more zinc and selenium, add oats to your smoothie bowl.
- Add all ingredients to your blender with a dash of water and crushed ice and blend. If you cannot fit all ingredients in at once, blend half and add the rest.
- Add as much water as desired. Remember you can always add water but you can’t take it away, so add the water gradually.
- Go crazy with your toppings.